Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Work Work Work

We started with the HUGE hole in our front yard. We decided that we wanted an edger between the parking area and the, coming later, front yard. We dug a little trench on the border of the yard and parking area. Then we pulled the logs out of our garden, it needs to be squared up and C wants the garden to be a little bigger this year, and placed the logs in the trench to keep them from rolling. We then brought in drain rock and filled the hole most of the way in. We are hoping that the rock will help the water drain into the ground this next year instead of creating another giant lake in our front yard. Last we put road base on the rocks to create a nice parking/turn around area. Here is the finished product:Our next project was to get the garden ready to plant and then plant it.

My FIL bought us some nice railroad ties to put around our garden. So we pulled out the logs that were around our garden for the above project. Then we made our garden area as level as possible. Then we had to carry the railroad ties into the garden. Man are they heavy. However knowing that each railroad tie is 9 feet long helped us square our garden up. I didn't realize how off we were. One side of the garden was 3 feet wider than the other half. It is nice to be able to step into my garden without the logs rolling out from under me. My FIL also bought us tons of soil conditioner and we bought some steer manure to go into our garden. C tilled it for me and 2 days later we planted our garden. I really like the way our garden looks this year. We still have to put in our watering system but for now we are using a sprinkler. We planted tomatoes, zucchini, straight neck squash, peas, lettuce, radishes, carrots, onions, cabbage, pickling cucumber, broccoli, potatoes, corn, and beans. My garden has been in for a week and a half and tomorrow I have to take the walls of water off of my squashes. They are growing so awesome. They are trying to come out of the top and today I noticed a few bent leaves so tomorrow the walls come off from around them. Here is my finished garden. Hopefully it does a little better than last year!

No comments: