Wednesday, May 27, 2009

GRASS!


Our grass is coming in nicely. We planted half of our back yard last year. When it first started growing we had an overwhelming population of grasshoppers come through and eat all of our new grass. I was sad.

We were then told by some friends that the best way to grow grass was to plant the seed right before the snow falls and then the snow would push it into the ground and in the spring when the snow melted it would keep the seeds moist and they would grow when spring came. I'm happy to tell you that it is true. All of our seed is starting to come up. And it turns out the grasshoppers didn't eat all of the grass because the grass is a lot thicker by the house where we had planted last summer.
We have tons of dandelions and I don't like them. My FIL said we had to give our lawn a mowing before he would spray. Luckily where the dandelions needed spraying was were we had planted last year and it was in need of a mowing. So our grass just received it's very first mowing. We borrowed my FIL's riding mower and C went to work. It makes me really excited to see the progress we are making on our yard. And I now know why they call it yard WORK!!

No comments: